06 May, 2009

What to Wear: Mother's Day Lunch/Brunch

Meeting Mother for lunch or brunch....celebrate her day and your style!

Talking with friends or clients we often discuss what cues we took or did not take from our mothers.

As a child I was always dressed 'to the nines' or immaculately put together by a sophisticated, elegant and conservative mother.

My mother being a white collar professional was always dressed to impress: "You never know who you might happen to run into." And yes, that includes the late night run to the grocery store...sweatpants are NOT optional!

Rarely caught in a pair of jeans and always wearing pantie hose under trousers (I never really understood that one!) she was the epitome of class and sophisticated glamour.

Jewelry was never for frill but rather quality: "Spend your money wisely and make purchases count." If you can only afford one piece make it investment worthy!

"Hem lengths should always be age appropriate and for goodness sake once your hips can handle children...stay out of the junior department!" This one I adapted a bit...but the point through observation was still achieved.

Never one to look back on a photo and regret her image...avoiding fashion faux pas 'transcend time, travel & trends'.

I may not have taken all of my mother's fashion advice and often rebelled (as I sit writing this in boyfriend destroyed jeans, gladiators & a black tuxedo blouse)...but I did learn the invaluable lesson of being true to my style.

Never compromise for fashion and to be endearingly chic...always dress for me!

Ciao'

Silk twist-back dress vintage navy $59.99

Hammered dew drop necklace $49.00

Bright party ring coral $49.00

Venafro tie dye button bag orange $34.99

Mia Hydra gold $70.00









1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! Growing up with my own highly esteemed professional mother, I swore I would never wear any polyester blend of any sort! Ahhhh back when I was a string bean and 100% cotton was actually flattering... --Ruth

    ReplyDelete